Go, Get Yourself A Massage
1. AM I SUPPOSED TO TAKE OFF MY UNDERWEAR?
Many people prefer to keep their panties or briefs on during a massage, others prefer to be nude. If your problem areas are your lower back, hips, buttocks or groin, tight-fitting underwear can get in the way of massage work, but a thong for women or briefs for men do the trick. But ensure that you are always properly covered by a sheet or towel. Only the area being massaged should be uncovered.
2. WHAT IF I REALISE THAT I'VE DROOLED?
Many people fall into a peaceful slumber during the massage but when they wake up, they notice a pool of drool on the pillow or massage table. This is very common. It often happens when people are being massaged while lying face down on the massage table. Ask the massage therapist for a tissue. It's that simple!
3. WILL THE MASSAGE THERAPIST BE THERE WHEN I UNDRESS?
In many salons/spas, the massage therapist will leave the room so that you can remove your clothing and lie on the massage table (usually face down) under the top sheet. Don't rush or worry that the massage therapist will walk in on you; they always knock and ask if you are ready before entering the massage room.
4. SHOULD I TALK DURING THE MASSAGE?
Although some people prefer to talk throughout the massage, don't feel compelled to make conversation with the therapist. The massage therapist often works on deeper layers of muscle and will want to ensure that the pressure is not uncomfortable. But be sure to speak up if the room is too hot or too cold, if you experience pain, if you have any questions related to the massage or if there's anything you forgot to mention during the consultation.
5. WHAT IF I GET TURNED ON DURING THE MASSAGE?
Some men don't get massage therapy because they worry that they'll get turned on. It's perfectly normal for men to get an erection during a non-sexual, therapeutic massage. Gentle touch administered to any area of the body can activate the parasympathetic nervous system and turn you on. Your massage therapist (male or female) understands this and will generally ignore it.
6. I'M SELF-CONSCIOUS ABOUT A CERTAIN PART OF MY BODY...
People are self-conscious for various reasons. Some common concerns are: I'm overweight, I have excessive hair growth on my body, I've got acne on my face or back, my feet are ugly or I have scars. Being self-conscious should never keep you from seeking health care, whether it's visiting your doctor or seeing a massage therapist. If you're self-conscious about a certain part of your body, you can ask the massage therapist to avoid that area.
7 I'D RATHER SEE A SAME SEX MASSAGE THERAPIST. SHOULD I REQUEST FOR ONE?
Some men don't feel comfortable getting a massage by a male massage therapist. It may be due to outdated social and media stereotypes of the profession or the fear of getting turned on during the massage. Meanwhile, some women prefer female massage therapists because they say they feel more comfortable with them. Do what you feel good about. Your massage, your call!
8. AM I SUPPOSED TO TIP MY MASSAGE THERAPIST?
If you get a massage at a spa or hotel, a 15-20 per cent tip is standard (if you were pleased with the services). On the other hand, there are no ground rules when it comes to a massage in a medical setting. Some therapists say that tipping isn't appropriate in a medical setting. If you aren't sure, call ahead to ask if you should tip or not.
About the Author
Michael Douglas is a massage therapist and a fitness coach who also runs a website www.massagemanual.com. Here you can find the best books on massage, massage cds, videos, music downloads, bodywork magazines and other massage accessories.
Hot Topics In Massage Therapy
Let's face it. America's health consciousness has catapulted during the last five years. Foods low in fat, sugar, and carbohydrates, have topp...
- The Benefits of Ice-Up Portable Cold Therapy Massage
- Abdomen Massage - Starting Out
- Massage Therapy - If You Haven't Tried It Now's The Time
- The Benefits of Massage
- Massage In San Antonio
- Massage Tables - How To Choose The Right One
- Know The Top Massage Techniques!
- The Most Popular Types Of Asian Massage
- Massage Therapy and Back Pain
- Why Choose Hot Stone Massage
- What You Can Do With A Massage Therapy Picture
- A Pampering Massage to Lose Your Stress
- Massage Therapy Helps Rejuvenate The Mind, Body And Soul
- Back Massage - How to give a relaxing Back Massage
- Chinese massage therapy and treatment
- Using Therapeutic Massage to Treat Women's Health Problems
- Shiatsu is a Therapeutic Practice That Can Support Individuals in Moving Towards Greater Health
- A Massage Table Brings Comfort To Your Experience
- NEUROMUSCULAR MASSAGE: What Exactly Is It?
- Benefits of a Hydrospa Hot Tub in Spain for Hydromassage
- Acid Reflux
- Air Purification
- Arm Exercises
- Avian Flu
- Beauty Accessories
- Black Lung
- Brain Cancer
- Cell Biology
- Chinese Medicine
- Colonic Cleansing
- Dark Circles
- Dry Skin
- Family Medicine
- Hair Removal
- Health Supplements
- Ingrown Toenail
- Legionnaire's Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Muscle Building
- Natural Remedies
- Oral Diseases
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Pregnancy Fitness
- Pyloric Stenosis
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Testicular Cancer
- Worm Disease
- Alternative A-Z | Beauty A-Z | Disease & Conditions A-Z | Fitness A-Z | Health A-Z | Home Life A-Z | Medicine A-Z | Remedies A-Z | Disease Therapy A-Z
- Health Topics | Articles | Encyclopedia | Glossaries | Directories | Archives | Rss Channel | Blog | China Health Online | 365 Health Online | InfoDaily
- Addiction Treatments
- Alexander Technique
- Bowen Technique
- Chelation Therapy
- Color Therapies
- Crystal Therapy
- Drugs and Medication
- Energy Therapy
- Enzyme Therapy
- Gem Therapy
- Juice Therapy
- Light Therapy
- Magnetic Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Music therapy
- Oxygen therapy
- Ozone Therapy
- Pain Management
- Polarity Therapy
- Stone Therapy
- Time Line Therapy
- Tui Na
- Urine Therapy